The Xu Beihong Memorial Museum Reopened on September 17, 2019
After major expansion that had started in 2010 was completed, the new and larger Xu Beihong Memorial Museum in Beijing opened its doors to visitors on September 17, 2019. The permanent exhibition includes a replication of Xu Beihong’s former residence in Beijing where he spent the last few years of his life. More than 120 original works by Xu Beihong are being displayed, including figures, landscapes, galloping horses and other animals, birds, flowers, calligraphy, and his representative oil paintings, The Foolish Old Man Who Removed the Mountains and Tian Heng and His Five Hundred Warriors. The more than 1200 artworks by Xu Beihong and more than 1000 masterpieces in his personal collection will be properly displayed in the new exhibition space on a rotating basis.
There is also a separate exhibition space on the fourth floor for special shows. The current exhibition Master Viewing Master—Xu Beihong and Qi Baishi runs from September 17, 2019 to November 29, 2019. It demonstrates how the two artists supported each other in their innovative efforts to improve Chinese painting.
Not only does this new museum display the best comprehensive collection of Xu Beihong’s works in the world, it will also become an important center for academics, research, and education as well as a platform for international exchange.
Hours: Open Tuesday – Sunday: 9:00 am – 4:30 pm. Admission is free, ID card or passport required.
Address: Xu Beihong Memorial Museum, 5 North Street of Xinjiekou, West City District, Beijing, China, 100035.
Expanded Xu Beihong Memorial Museum entrance, Beijing, September 2019. Photo by Che Mei.
Xu Beihong Memorial Museum’s reopening ceremony, Beijing, September 16, 2019. Photo by Che Mei.
Director Xu Qingping speaking at Xu Beihong Memorial Museum’s reopening ceremony, Beijing, September 16, 2019. Photo by Che Mei.